Tribhuvan University | Faculty of Management
Office of the Dean | Year: 2015
BIM / Third Semester / IT 217: Computer Organization
Full Marks: 40 | Time: 2 Hrs
Candidates are required to answer all the questions in their own words as far as practicable.
Group “A” – Brief Answer Questions: [10 X 1 = 10]
1. Define the term normalization with respect to a floating point numbers.
2. Write down the symbolic designation of a shift microoperation where the shifting is carried out without loss of information.
3. How I/O instruction is defined in a basic computer?
4. Make distinction between RISC and CISC architecture.
5. Write down the uses of sequencer in microprogrammed control organization.
6. How is effective address calculated in indexed register addressing mode?
7. List solution to control hazards.
8. What is the disadvantage of programmed I/O?
9. Differentiate between logical address and virtual address.
10. Define associative memory.
Group “B” [5 X 4 = 20] – Exercise Problems: [5 X 4 = 20]
11. The 4-bit register A, B, C and D initially the following values:
A = 0010, B = 0011, V = 1000, D = 1111
Determine the 4-bit values in each register after the execution of the following sequence of micro operations.
A ← A = C
C ← C Λ D, D ← D + 1
A ← A – B
12. Write a program to take two integers and display them.
13. Time taken to complete a task in conventional machine is 45ns. In pipelined machine, one task is divided into 5 segments and each sub-operation takes 10ns. Calculate pipeline speed up for 50 tasks and infinite tasks.
14. Consider the following memory and the instruction LDA 250:
Write the value loaded into AC when the addressing mode is
a) Indirect b) Register Indirect c) Immediate d) Direct
15. Multiply +15 by -5 using booth algorithm.
Group “C” – Comprehensive Answer Questions: [2 X 5 = 10]
16. Explain how data is transferred using handshaking methods? Explain interrupt cycle of Vasic Computer.
17. Explain any two interconnection structures for a multi-processor. Explain cache mapping techniques.