The Magic of Words is based on the idea that reading is an informational as well as a recreational activity, and that a good selection of well-written texts sensitize the readers toward developing an intelligent awareness of some of the most important issues involved in living.
This selection is organised in six unit. Each unit has a clear thematic content, and all the six units together present an intelligent treatment of important idea and topics of present-day relevance. Unit One (“Stories o the supernatural”) is a “link” unit, and it recapitulates general reading, writing, and grammar activities for revision and prepares the students for the study of the major themes presented in the selection. Unit Two (“Men, Women and Children”) deals with discovering family relationship in their different aspects, and presents children, adolescents and adults engaged in various interpersonal activities. Unit Three (“Ecology and Environment”) powerfully presents how the environment is threatened as well as suggests
the necessity of conserving it for the survival of the earth and its inhabitants. Unit Four (“Humour”) entertains and informs. Unit Five (“Identity, Gender and Ethnicity”) deals with the burning problems of identity, power and race relationships that need to be understood dispassionately and wisely for peaceful coexistence. The final unit, Unit Six (“Life and Death”), explores the pain, vanity, dignity and beauty of life and death.
Unit Wise Summary of The Magic of Words
Open the link and read them.
Unit One : Stories of The Supernatural
1. The Recurring Dream – A Story From England
2. The Lost Doll – A Story from Colombia, South America
3. The House Call – A Story From Germany
4. Fear – A Story from Puebla, Mexico
5. The Loving Mother – A Story from the Island of Hokkaido, japan
Unit Two : Men, Women and Children
6. My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold – William Wordsworth
7. Speaking of Children – Barbara Holland
8. Look At a Teacup – Patricia Hampl
9. A Worn Path – Eudora Welty
10. The Three Day Blow – Ernest Hemingway
Unit Three : Ecology And Environment
Unit Four : Humour
Unit Five : Identity, Gender And Ethnicity
17. Malini – Rabindranath Tagore
Unit Six : Life And Death